Rüegsau is located in a narrow valley, perpendicular to the Emme and contains also the villages of Rüegsauschachen and Rüegsbach. The 1990 census reports a population of 2,746. Since the road through the Emmental was built in the first half of the 19th century, followed by the train in 1881, people started to move from Rüegsau towards the Emme, to Rüegsauschachen, where the village touches the neighboring Hasle.
Rüegsau was first mentioned in 1139. Approximately at the same time was built a Monastery for Benedictine nons, which was dissolved after the Reformation in 1528. Its church became the village church. Before continuing our trip down the Emme river, we walk to the next village upstream, to Lützelflüh.
Owner: Erich Iseli